More about home safety
Did you know that falls are Australia’s number one cause of injury leading to hospitalisation?
- Falls can happen to anyone but are much more common in older people.
- Falls are most likely to occur in the home. For example, you may slip in the bathroom on wet tiles, catch your foot and trip on the edge of a rug, or misplace your foot when walking down steps.
Other measures you can take to prevent falls:
- Remain physically active and strong. It is beneficial to do a range of different exercises which build your strength, cardiovascular fitness and balance.
- Ask your doctor if any of the medications you are taking may increase your risk of falls.
- Have your eyesight checked.
- Wear supportive shoes.